The First Two Weeks (Postpartum)

Time sure does fly!  As we close in on our second week as a family of five, I wanted to write a short little update on how things have gone.  I spent just under 48 hours in the hospital.  That’s two nights (including the night my daughter was born) essentially bed ridden as nurses, doctors and lactation consultants regularly checked in on me (regardless of if I was sleeping or not).



To keep me sane, my husband brought my two older daughters in to visit and my parents and sister also stopped by.  Bless their hearts.  Isolation in a hospital room is not the ideal toddler playground.  We gave each of the girls a present from their baby sister.  In return, they brought her a balloon from the gift shop.




We watched Nickelodeon and got creative with any and everything that we could in the room (including the grippy socks).  The girls also enjoyed taking their new baby sister for a stroll around the maternity wing before stopping at the nursery to get their very own “I’m a Big Sister” hospital bands.



At 5PM on Saturday evening, we were released to head home.  This was a big moment.  We took our first family of five picture on our way out and made sure to document the entire event.  I think all of the nurses knew my girls by the time we rolled out of there.



All of the excitement must have made us lose our minds slightly.  We managed to leave my hospital bag outside on the steps where my husband picked us up.  We got all the way home before the hospital called to tell us my bag (along with my wallet) had been dropped off at the front desk.  Thank goodness there are honest people left in the world.  I can’t imagine what someone could have done with all of that information at their fingertips.


The first night at home was all a little chaotic.  How do you even anticipate what the baby will be like the first night?  My husband is pretty lenient with me the first two nights at home.  With each of my precious daughters I have co-slept with them in a guest bed the first two nights at home.  At that point, my husband forces me to cut the cord and move them to their crib.  I can’t say we slept great the first night, but my husband had the week off from work so I rested easier knowing in the back of my mind I could nap the next day.  That I did.  We also took a short walk as a family of five about 40 yards up the street and back (see picture above).


One thing this baby loves to do is swaddle.  This is a first for me.  Both of my older girls preferred to have their arms free.  Looking back, maybe that is why one of them didn’t sleep great?  At this point, if I can get this little girl nice and tight in a good swaddle, she can sleep a three hour stretch from approximately 9 PM – 12 AM.  Hence, when I usually hit the sack.  I’m typically getting up three times each night to feed her.  I am exclusively breastfeeding her, so I let my husband snooze with the expectation that he will handle the other girls if they wake up in the middle of the night.




It didn’t take long for that to happen.  Our first night home from the hospital, I woke up to the sound of my second daughter throwing up in her bedroom.  I’m not convinced that her rolling around on the floor at the hospital didn’t cause her to get some sort of a bug.  Either that or she was so overwhelmed with change that it through off her system.


I can’t say enough about our neighbors, friends, my clients and family in Charlotte.  While I did not have a baby shower for my third daughter, I came home to several sweet gifts and a generous amount of meals and snacks for the family.  What a big help.  I never would have guessed how much easier it would be to not have to plan dinner for our expanding family the first few weeks at home.  We truly appreciate the help.  I will be the first to admit that I hate asking for help, so having it forced upon me has been special.  We will be sending out personalized thank you notes over the next few weeks.



We closed out our first real week at home with a visit from my husband’s parents.  Their visit came at the perfect time.  On Friday, I experienced the worst postpartum uterine contractions.  They literally brought me to tears and ultimately left me bed ridden for almost two hours.  With each child these contractions have gotten worse and worse for me.  Being knocked off my feet (quite literally) forced me to realize that I needed to slow down.  It’s difficult for me to “take it easy”, especially when I have three kids.


With my in-laws in town, I was given the opportunity to truly take it easy.  They were proactive in taking both of my older girls on walks and even watching the baby long enough for my husband and I to grab a cocktail and dinner out Friday evening.  Somehow I managed to fit into a pre-pregnancy dress.  We went to Summit Room before heading to Wing Haven Gardens for their annual food truck event.



Not only did they watch the girls, but my mother-in-law also cooked for us two of the four nights that they were in town.  Why is it that when moms cook it always tastes better than the food that I make? Maybe you can taste the love they put into it?  It was bittersweet seeing them leave Monday morning.


By Monday, my husband was headed back to work (from home, but no longer available to readily help).  I was on my own to an extent. Having family in Charlotte has been a lifesaver.  While my parents were out of town for the weekend, they took the baby on Monday while I took the two older girls out.  Knowing they are headed back to preschool next week, I am working on spending quality time with them before it is all baby all the time in the mornings.



A lot of people have asked me if we have taken the baby out yet.  Yes, yes we have.  While we stick to places that are pretty open or places that we know she won’t be picked up by a lot of people, we (or I ) don’t really have an option.  Not only do the other girls need to be engaged, but we still need groceries and I just need a chance to get outside.  This week, I was able to manage taking all three of the girls to the grocery store, dance class open house and even Flywheel.


Speaking of Flywheel, I did not ride.  I also have not resumed exercise yet.  I likely won’t for another week.  While my ab separation was minimal, I have noticed that my recovery is moving somewhat slower than it did for each of my previous pregnancies.  Since I know we are done having kids, I don’t feel any urgency to push the pace too soon.  The last thing I want to do is push too soon only to set myself back yet again.


At Cameron’s two week check up, she was treated for a blocked tear duct and weighed in at 8 pounds 2 ounces.  She is gaining over an ounce a day.  We are scheduled to head back for our one month appointment in just two weeks.  She is the sweetest thing.  My husband agrees.  I don’t know if it is because we are embracing the infancy stage since we are done or maybe we are just better at handling a baby round three.  Either way, we can’t get enough of her.  While I miss my routine, I know the change is temporary and she will grow up faster than we want her to (and so will the other girls).





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s