Size of Baby (per “What To Expect”) – Size of a can of cola (approximately 5 1/2 ounces)
Weight Gain – Solid 12 Pounds – we had a growth spurt this week, not sure if it was baby or mama, but there was a lot of eating going on. At this point in my second pregnancy, I had gained 10 pounds.
Movement – Definitely feeling movement at this point. It’s so exciting to know that the baby is active and continuing to grow.
Sleep – I’m sleeping quite a bit, but I have been more tired recently. It seems like everyone around us has come down with something over the past few weeks, so I’m not sure if the new fatigue is a baby growth spurt or my body fighting off a bug. Either way, I’m embracing the rest and trying to get as much as I can.
What I miss – It’s funny. As I watch my girls grow up, I miss some of my loved ones that have passed before they ever got a chance to meet them. The girls are so lucky to have one set of great grandparents in their lives and both sets of grandparents. Making the most out of the time people are here with us is so important. I was reminded this when I took the girls to Golden Living Center this week to have a tea party with some of the residents.
I know they don’t know how much they made their day, but the presence of such innocent youth truly touched the residents who were able to attend. It was a break from their monotonous routine. I actually can’t wait to go back.
Best Moments this Week –My youngest daughter’s second birthday party. We kept things small and simple for birthday number two, just as we did with our first daughter. The biggest difference was that my oldest daughter led the charge to keeping our youngest excited about the festivities all day. She was ready to party the second she woke up.
She wore her party hat most of the morning before joining me for errands all over town to pick up things for the party – balloons, cake, a nugget tray. Surprisingly, she was aware that the party was not for her and did not try to take the spotlight off our youngest.
The “big” and only gift we got for our two year old was a Little Tikes Bouncy House. I actually expected it to be bigger. It was reasonably priced, well made, and suited for the age range of my two girls (now 2 and 3 years old). I expect we will get plenty of use out of the toy as the weather warms up. See additional pictures from the party below.
Looking forward to – The big anatomy scan is this week. At our last ultrasound, we were able to see several of the things that we typically wait to see in the anatomy scan (hands/fingers/brain). However, it will be great to get a better look at things and get some clarity that we are on the right track. It’s hard to believe we are almost half way already!
Cravings – I’m back to operating on the 80/20 rule. Approximately 80% of the food I eat is considered “healthy”, the other 20% is, well you get the picture. With the slightly warmer weather, we have been able to roll out the grill and get some healthy dinners in. Ain’t no shame in our paper plate game.
Symptoms – At this point in pregnancy number two, I developed pregnancy rhinitis (essentially nasal congestion and a runny nose). I was using a netti pot to flush my nasal passage ways. In pregnancy number one, I experienced pregnancy gingivitis (bleeding gums). I haven’t had either of these symptoms yet. The biggest thing going on with me thus far is widening hips and a growing belly.
Workouts – I started this pregnancy in much better shape than I did with either of my other two. That said, my workouts pre-pregnancy were higher intensity and my core was stronger. I have been able to maintain many of the same exercises so far (many of which I didn’t even try to do my first or second pregnancy simply because they weren’t regular to my routine at the time).
- Monday – I taught my 6:30 AM Flywheel class. That’s it. Still no discomfort on bike.
- Tuesday – Pump it Up
- Run 800m
- 2 Rounds
- Sit Up x 25
- Tricep Dip to Push Up Jump Through x 8 each
- Scapular Pulls x 15
- Overhead Squat with TRX x 25
- 2 Rounds
- Plank Jack with mini band x 25
- Side mini band walk with overhead press x 10, x 8, x 6
- Pull Up x 10
- Split Squat x 10 each
- 4 Rounds (:40 on/:20 off)
- KB Swing
- Toes to Bar
- KB Squat Clean
- Wednesday – Body Weight Park Workout (anyone can do) – Temperatures in Charlotte dropped to the TWENTIES overnight this week. After dropping the kids off at school, I opted to layer up and get a run/strength workout in at the park (my favorite kind of workout). With the cold temperatures, I wasn’t worried about too many kids being out on the equipment.
- 1.5 Mile run to park
- 4 Rounds each set (:40 on/:20 off) – alternate exercises in sets
- Set 1 – Grip Hang with Pull up AND Step Ups
- Set 2 – Push-Ups AND Full Sit Ups
- Set 3 – Wall Jumps AND Step Back Lunges
- 1 Mile Run back to home
I met my obstacle race training group (crossconditioningocr.com) at Inner Peaks that evening to coach them through a workout and get some solid bouldering time in. I am still bouldering and traversing at this point. The thing is, I’m doing it lower to the ground, with no legs, and on an inverted wall. The purpose of me doing this is to maintain controlled grip strength. Having my feet loose on an inverted wall makes me feel less concerned about my belly bumping into the wall. I can easily drop to my feet if I need to. That said, it is MUCH harder to climb this way.
- Thursday – In our house, when we plan to get up to work out and opt to sleep in instead, we have essentially “fartsacked”. It is an awful sounding word that is the perfect description of regretting when you should have just gotten your butt out of bed. I will cut myself some slack while I am pregnant, but I “fartsacked” on Thursday. I ditched my running group to sleep in. That said, I did teach a class at Flywheel later that afternoon.
- Friday – In an attempt to undo my Thursday snoozfest, I jumped out of bed (well rested) on Friday morning for a 5 mile run. Pace was 9:33/mile and average heart rate was 155.
Total distance running this week was 12.7 miles. The week before was approximately 19. Obviously the dip was a result of not running Thursday.
- Saturday – I slept in again. It was the day of the big birthday party. I squeezed in a short 30 minute workout in garage before getting sidetracked with training and getting things ready for our youngest daughter.
- Sunday – I taught a Flywheel class at 7:30 AM and 2:45 PM.