Size of Baby (per “What To Expect”) – Size of the palm of your hand (approximately 3-5 ounces)
Weight Gain – 10 Pounds – Holding steady at about a pound a week in the second trimester.
Movement –Starting to feel little kicks very low in my belly. I typically feel nothing when I am on my feet moving around with the kids/working out. It is when I finally sit down at night that I feel something. My one cup of a coffee a day doesn’t even get her moving.
Sleep – Sleeping great these days. I am less restless and sleeping through the night. My parents offered to have the girls over for a “sleepover” this week, so we jumped at the chance to have a parents night in.
The girls took ownership in packing for their trip up the road. While the picture above may seem like a lot of stuff, there was actually more. I thought they would miss me, but I missed them more. We didn’t hear from them all night.
We haven’t had a date night in a few weeks, so we bounced around a few places (while I enjoyed “mocktails”) before joining friends for dinner at Block & Grinder. We were still in bed by 10PM.
What I miss – It’s funny because I looked back at what I said week 17 in my second pregnancy, and I feel exactly the same. The answer? I don’t miss much. Right now, I am enjoying the second trimester energy surge and the fact that this will be my last time experiencing a baby growing in my belly.
Best Moments this Week – I would say date night in, but I have already talked about that. In all seriousness, spending quality time with my girls has been the best part of the week. They were out of school on Tuesday because of a teacher workday. Lucky for us, the weather was nice, and some of the other parents had coordinated playdates for the week.
Realizing my time with just the two of them is getting shorter, I am trying to get them out of the house (either together or by themselves) and excited about doing something with their mom. If something fun comes up, I work to be unselfish with my own time to let them have time with me to themselves. Even if that means my youngest daughter asks me to take her to the playground at Chicfila for lunch at 10:30 AM.
Cravings – I am finally starting to enjoy eating healthy foods again. I am craving less salty, high fat foods and more fruits and vegetables. I opted to eat a salad several days this week. Bring on the veggies! The picture below is a salad from Johnny Burrito. If you haven’t made it over there, you are missing out.
Symptoms – Whatever took over my hands last week is gone and hasn’t come back since. No real symptoms other than a bigger stomach. I haven’t started wearing maternity pants yet. However, my wardrobe most often revolves around elastic waistband athletic pants.
Workouts –To be honest, I am feeling stronger than ever. My OB/GYN rode in my Thursday Flywheel class, so I had time to catch up with her outside of the office. Having a relationship with her like this has made all three of my pregnancies significantly less stressful. She encourages my workouts and supports all FOUR Flywheel instructors who are pregnant at this moment in time. That’s right, I said FOUR.
- Monday – 6:30 AM Flywheel – I just taught my class. I have also been volunteer coaching pole vault in the afternoon at Myers Park High School. I consider all of the walking around that I do in the track area a workout.
- Tuesday – Knowing the girls had a teacher workday and I would not get any time to squeeze in a workout, I woke up early to do a garage workout before my husband left for work.
- 15 minute warm up Run
- 2 Rounds
- Bosu knee to chest crunch, raise legs over hurdles x 8 each side (HARD)
- Bosu Burpee x 10
- Ape Crawl x 25 yards (this will be the last week I can do this, belly is too big)
- Glute Bridge, heels in TRX, mini band around thighs x25
- 2 Rounds
- Side Knee to Elbow on Bosu x 25 each
- Lunge on Bosu with Bicep Curl x 10 each
- Leg Raise with Flex Arm Hang on Gymnastics Rings x 10
- TRX row x 15
- 2 Rounds
- Side Step Up x 10
- Ab Mat Sit Up x 25
- Pull Up x 10
- Overhead Press x 15
*Let’s talk about the fact that I am still doing straight leg toes to bar. My doctor was surprised I could still do these (not in a bad way, but she is interested to see how much longer I can do them). That said, I will attempt to continue to do them before modifying by doing knees to elbow.
- Wednesday – While I have energy, I have been trying to keep my strength work consistent. I did a shorter workout Wednesday that embodied aspects of obstacle race training.
- 2 Rounds
- Run 800m easy
- Marching crunch on Bosu x 25 each
- Pushup with one arm roll out x 10 each side
- Elastic Band Upright Row with shoulder rotation to overhead press x 10 (HARD, but great for shoulder mobility)
- Miliband around thighs, side walk x 15 each leg x 3 rounds
- 4 Rounds
- Run 400m
- 15 Pushups
- 5 Pull Ups
- 25 Squats
- 5 Pull Ups
- 15 Pushups
- 2 Rounds
- Thursday – I ran an early morning workout with my run group before teaching Flywheel at 3:30.
*Let’s talk about my run intensity on the one day I do interval training a week. The workout that the group did was as follows:
- 1.5 mile warm up
- 5 Rounds – Run 1000m, recover 400m
I only did 4 rounds, and my pace was somewhat consistent outside of the first round. If you look at line 3, 5, 8, and 10, you can see my 1000m breaks. I averaged about an 8:00/mile pace when I was on. When I was recovering, I was closer to a 10:00 mile. That said, prior to getting pregnant, my average interval pace would have been somewhere around 6:45-7:00 pace. I am dropping anywhere between a minute to a minute and a half of speed when I am on. I am totally okay with this. I am also totally okay with being done when I feel like being done (which on this day was before everyone else). I feel excited about the fact that I am just outside being active.
- Friday – After a long week, I spent some time playing around in the garage, but not doing a structured workout. I did end up seeing how many pull ups I could do. Somehow I managed to do 12. I am shocked I still have the ability to pull up the additional weight that many times.
- Saturday – For two weeks in a row, I have gotten up early to get a “longish” run in before the kids wake up. On these days, my goal is to run easy. That said, I try to keep my heart rate in the 140s, leaving my pace somewhere in the 9:30/10:00 mile range. On this day, I squeeze in 4.78 mile at 9:41 pace.
I went on to train my obstacle training group later that morning – this time only watching people workout and not actually doing a workout myself. The first Charlotte Spartan Race is coming up in less than 4 weeks!
- Sunday – I taught my regular 7:30 AM Flywheel class, which was rough with the time change!