It has been a few weeks since I posted a list of some of my favorite things (both fitness and non-fitness related). It’s Friday, so I figured I would kick off the weekend with a fun, light hearted post that embraces everything going on in my life right now.
Flywheel, #FlyFam, Fun
Master Instructor and VP of Flywheel, Aleah Stander, was visiting the Flywheel Charlotte studio this week. As part of her visit, the Flywheel instructors were asked to get together for a round robin and training session. We worked out together and taught back and forth to each other. We shared ideas on how to make our classes better and what the future holds for our incredible studio. When I was working full time, it was almost impossible for me to find time during the middle of the day to make it to an event like this. I am so happy that I was available and ready to go on Thursday. Flywheel Charlotte is the home to an amazingly talented group of instructors that are always willing to listen, learn and make people feel good when they walk out the door. Training with this group just reinforced how much I value the studio and the group of people that I work with.
When I worked full time, I oftentimes found myself wandering over to Green Brothers Juice Company during those long afternoon hours. Since there is limited parking at that location, and I really don’t have the time to drive there and back, I have been missing fresh smoothies and juices. That said, I was very excited when I saw that “Juice Bar” opened just a few feet away from Flywheel. What a perfect (and easy) location for me to get my fix (at least on the days of the week that I am working out at the studio).
Prior to working out during the training that I mentioned above, I taught a double Flywheel class. My wheel classes were over at 12:30 PM. I was on the bike for training from 1-3 PM. I was worried about getting something that would fill me up but not make me feel sick when I got back on the bike to ride. I settled on the Cocoa Banana smoothie. Yes, smoothie. The smoothie would be a little more filling than the juice. Cocoa Banana – cocoa powder, banana, peanut butter, spinach, and coconut milk. Really delicious. Honestly, I was hoping it would taste a little bit more chocolatey, but that would have added unnecessary sugar. I would highly recommend.
I actually felt great getting back on the bike! The Juice Bar doesn’t just have juices and smoothies, they have a wide variety of fresh foods and prepackaged snacks. I have to admit that as I waited for my smoothie to be made, I probably picked up and put down everything on the shelves and in the cooler. I couldn’t make up my mind. Fresh spring rolls, quinoa salad, protein bars, Bruks bars. It’s like going to the grocery store hungry. I had to control myself. I am very excited about this new hot spot, and I look forward to checking out other items on the menu (see website here).
Discovery Place – Uptown Charlotte
I have been hesitant to take both girls out by myself to places that I know are crowded with kids until I had gotten comfortable with a method of keeping up with both of them. The infant doesn’t move, but the toddler is all over the place. I also want to be able to participate with my toddler while she is engaging in activities. I ventured out to Discovery Place (located in Uptown Charlotte) on my own this week. I picked this week because a decent number of kids are back in school. I figured it would be a little less crowded. My toddler also starts preschool again in two weeks. My time is running out with her during the mornings.
It actually went a lot better than I thought it would. Our tolerance for play is about one and a half hours. At that point, someone gets hungry, tired or has a flat out temper tantrum over sharing. The good thing is that there is enough to do that if one thing gets old, I can offer an alternative task as a distraction, over and over and over again. The “science” room is most intriguing to both of my girls at this point. There is a toddler area that my youngest even found fun (see picture above). The same “science” room includes a water play area that any child under the age of 5 could spend a lot of time in.
The particular day that we went, they had a special guitar exhibit. I found this intriguing because my sister plays the guitar and performs on a regular basis. My oldest took the stage in the mock set up and grabbed her guitar. She did not shy from the spotlight. I really just loved watching how much fun she had attempting to figure out the purpose of each interactive exhibit. Now that I know I can keep up with them both, I will start taking them more (on my own).
Love Birch Box? Want to try health, nutrition and weight loss products in a sample format before spending a fortune? Let me introduce Bulu Box. The box is as empowering as some of the things that come in it. When my first package came, I was so excited to see what my products would be for the month. Let’s face it. Health products can be expensive. For me to spend a serious amount of money buying something new, I need to be convinced that it works.
Each month, Bulu Box subscribers receive 4-5 vitamin, supplement and healthy snack samples to try. If you like one of the items in the box, you can buy it in full-size in the Bulu Box shop. There is a rewards program that you can participate in to earn credits towards discounts on the purchase of any full-size product. The box also includes coupons and additional information on each product. I was happy to find that I had not seen and even heard of any of the items in my first box.
- Movit Energy Gummies – Comparable to Gu Energy Chomps, this product is an energy infused gummie expected to be taken 20 minutes prior to activity per 60 minute duration. Sounds perfect for a pre-ride snack prior to teaching a Flywheel double. I snacked on a few of the treats just before my first class started. I typically take a Gu pack prior to teaching my double. I have to say it was sort refreshing having something to actually chew, rather than just swallow blandly. I drank a decent amount of water with the product, and I actually felt really good for both rides. I would consider trying this as a pre-race fuel (as something to chew) while continuing to use a Gu pack in the actual race (it’s easier to eat on the run).
- RUNA Tea – One tea contains as much caffeine as a cup of coffee and twice the antioxidants of green tea. The purpose is to replace calorie filled energy drinks with a natural option. I am not really a tea drinker and I don’t drink energy drinks, so I will have to find an appropriate time to use this product. I love my coffee. The antioxidants are appealing.
- Simple Being Simple Diet – This was the diet product in my box. I am not on a diet right now, so I will not be using this. Essentially, the tablet uses a blend of four ingredients to promote fat burning, appetite suppression, and boost metabolism.
- Fusion Jerky – Okay, this is my jam. Chicken jerky? Lemon Pepper? This stuff was incredible. I opened this almost as fast as I opened the box. I am over the awful and unnatural flavors that vendors like Jack’s Links makes. This stuff is incredible. We will be buying more. The package in the Bulu Box was actually almost full size. Three servings. I dig that.
- Earth’s Care Anti-Itch Cream – This cream should be used to relieve pain and itching associated with skin irritations due to poison ivy, sunburn, and minor cuts and scrapes. Another thing that I could use. I managed to get a small case of poison ivy on my shin while I was out of town. The healing has been incredibly itchy. I slathered this on right away. It worked. I haven’t been itching as much. Just what the doctor ordered.
Overall, I was very happy with the box. Three out of the five products were relative to me. At least two of the products I would buy in a larger size. I also enjoy learning more about what products are out there. Interested in checking one out? See the website. I also have an exclusive code for all of my readers. If you purchase a 3, 6, or 12 month subscription, you can get 50% off. Just type in the code SWEATPINK. You are welcome.
Happy Friday, y’all!