The First Few Days

Since my daughter was born at 12:21 AM on Wednesday morning, she was better off staying in the hospital through Friday morning (that way she had a full 48 hours of care prior to discharge).  For both of my labors, I have gone to the hospital in the evening and delivered the next day.  Therefore, instead of staying for two nights, we have ended up there for what seems like three (by the time labor and recovery is over).  IMG_4743My husband was around the hospital a lot when my first daughter was born, however, already having a child made it difficult for him to be there 24/7 this go round.  It also made it hard for my parents to visit (since they were watching my daughter when my husband was with me).  That said, I ate a lot more meals from the hospital menu and spent a lot of time taking pictures of my new little one (see above, I even got a smile from her).

IMG_4717I have to admit, the hospital food really wasn’t that bad.  Since the last time I was in the hospital, they have started to require you to call in your order (rather than force you to order ahead).  You can discuss your nutrition options with a dietitian (if you choose to).  There are lighter fare options, and the hospital even allows you to see nutritional information for everything that you are eating.   Really a great thing.  See ticket above.

IMG_4723My husband did try to bring me an outside meal at least once a day.  Less than a block from the hospital is a local casual dining spot that we had not tried – Viva Chicken.  Boy, we were missing out.  Half white chicken with peruvian green beans and some sweet potato fries.  SO good.  There are lighter side selections besides fries, but this is one of the few times in my life that I really don’t put pressure on myself to try to be overly active and restrictive with what I eat.  Let’s face it.  The hospital is meant for recovery.  My body needs a good solid recovery after giving birth to a child.  Exercise is the last thing that I am thinking about while holding this bundle of joy in my arms.

IMG_4756When we found out that we were going to have to stay in the hospital until Friday, we decided that we should bring my daughter over on Thursday to see me and meet the “baby”.  My husband took her to the hospital gift shop to get a “big sister” balloon for herself and a “welcome little one” balloon for her sister.  When she walked in the room she hesitated as she saw mom in the hospital bed.  She does not like to see me in a situation that appears I might be in harm. Since I was told not to pick her up for a few weeks, my husband placed her on the bed with me.  We had been talking about a “baby” for the past several weeks, so she knew what a baby was when she saw it.  After fifteen minutes, she was more worried about unpacking my hospital bag and playing with her balloon rather than watching the baby.

IMG_4742Discharge papers were finalized on Friday – just in time for us to make it home by lunch.  We strapped my daughter in her car seat for the first of many car rides.  I opted to sit with her in the back.  I’m already protective of my little one.  She fell asleep before we even got out of the garage.

IMG_4759When I got home my oldest daughter was taking a nap on the couch.  Who said this was going to be hard?  In my first hour at home, both of my girls were already asleep at the same time.  This is easy right? Ha!  We took a picture to document this rare occurrence.  Ladies, please take a look at my proud after pregnancy belly.  We all saw Princess Kate standing outside of the hospital after the birth of her first.  This is real life.  When your baby is born, there is still a bump.  Embrace it.  It will go away.

IMG_4761When my oldest daughter woke up, we introduced her to the baby again.  She remembered her.  We have been reiterating the words “sister”, “Morgan” and “baby” to her.  If you say any of those words, she points at the baby.  She is as protective as I am.  She wants to be around her.  She wants to hold her.

IMG_4765Her intentions are good, but she doesn’t realize the power of her own strength at times.  I constantly have to monitor her around the little one.  The first few days have certainly have been an adjustment.  That saying “every baby is different” is true.  My daughter won’t sleep unless I hold her close (we have sort of fixed this by swaddling tighter).  She cluster feeds at night.  I’m breast feeding, so I am the only one getting up at night to feed.  To me, the biggest difference between the first and the second go round is the fact that I know each piece of my child’s development is a phase that we will get through.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.  We have certainly changed our life but in a good way.  IMG_4762All of our kind friends and family have also made this transition easier.  We wouldn’t be able to do it without the frequent meals and offers to help.  I can’t say enough how much we appreciate all of the generosity.  Since I can’t reach out to everyone (or have everyone over), I hope these updates give you a little insight to how things are going.

1 thought on “The First Few Days

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s