To Induce or Not to Induce?

I am 38 weeks pregnant.  After a full term ultrasound, I know my baby is head down.  My baby is right on track to weigh as much as my first child.  My baby is sitting low.  In fact, so low, that at times I get throbbing pains in my inner thighs when she moves.  My back hurts, and I feel like I could go into labor anytime.  I am paranoid.  Where will I be?  Will I be able to get in touch with my husband when the time comes?  How long will I have to get to the hospital (and get an epidural if I need one)?


A scheduled induction would surely put many of these worries to rest.  However, is planning the forced labor and delivery of my child what I really want?  At my doctor’s appointment this week I sat down and discussed the positive and negatives of both.  Every pregnancy is different.  This one has been far different than my first.  As of Tuesday, I was dilated 3 cm.  At 3 cm with my first, I was in the hospital.  This pregnancy started different and will end different than my first.

Mom and Madison

What are the positives of induction?  Well, for one, it makes planning easier.  I was only worried about myself in my first pregnancy.  Induction was not an option.  When the doctor mentioned it, it brought me to tears.  How could I force my daughter to come into this world when she wasn’t ready?  I still am pondering this question, but I can’t help but feel like the convenience of setting a time and date would make me feel a lot more comfortable.  For one, my daughter would have someone to watch her.  Secondly, my husband would be off work.  Finally, I could get a good nights sleep prior to starting the grueling process.

MB side

It made sense Tuesday.  Therefore, I moved forward with setting my induction date on the day that my doctor is on call – Friday, March 20th.  I set it because in my mind, my daughter will come before then.  I won’t actually have to go through with induction.  I am still trying to decide if I made the right choice.  I still have time.  If the baby is not here by Tuesday, I will go back to see the doctor one final time before the actual induction is scheduled to occur.  In the meantime, I am still going about my regular routine – riding at Flywheel, errands, walking, and most importantly spending time with my sweet baby girl that is already in this world.  Do you have any thoughts/advice on induction?  Would love to hear it!


2 thoughts on “To Induce or Not to Induce?

  1. Jess (will run for cheeseburgers)

    You’re so close to the end!

    As a mom to a toddler I had the same thoughts of you prior to labor … Who will take care of my son when it was time to head to the hospital?

    Since my previous labor and delivery wasn’t exactly smooth (4th degree tear) my doctor suggested to induce at 39 weeks, 1 day to hopefully deliver a smaller baby and avoid tearing and complications.

    I hoped I would go into labor on my own leading up to march 5th but it wasn’t in the cards. Fortunately I was already 5 cm dilated when I went to the hospital to be induced and was having some minor contractions on my own.

    After the dr broke my water I had enough time for an epidural before quickly pushing out my baby boy. Being induced worked out for me in the long run. I know it’s a tough decision but go with your gut if you have doubts

    Good luck!

    1. flyjenduf Post author

      Jess – Thank you so much for sharing your story with me! Congrats on the birth of your second. This really puts things in perspective for me. I literally read the entire thing to my husband with a smile. I hope that you are feeling good. Hope to see you soon! In the mean time, I will keep you posted with our decision.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s