When I started this blog, I had no idea that I would be including so many quick, healthy recipes (some of which are just modifications to some of your favorite not so healthy dishes). Since I have been home more, I still don’t have much time, but I do have the ability to focus my creative energy on putting together some tasty meals for my family. This week, in particular, I have taken a few staple ingredients that I found in my cabinets to put together what I would think is some good healthy comfort food.
Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers
- 2 pounds of 93% lean ground beef (You could use lean ground turkey or chicken too)
- 6 green bell peppers
- 2 packages of mild taco seasoning
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 containers of ready to serve brown rice (to save time on cooking)
- 2 16 oz cans dark red kidney beans, drained
- 2 16 oz cans diced tomatos, not drained
- Mexican cheese to taste
Since you are using a crockpot, the hardest part about this meal is prepping. I am not a fan of cooking green bell peppers by steaming, so this works very well for me. Prep time is less than 15 minutes.
- Cut out the top section of the green bell peppers. Be very careful! This includes the stem, seeds and any other pieces that take room away from where you can stuff.
- Cook the ready serve rice before stuffing. Since I used ready serve, it took me about a minute in the microwave for each container.
- In a bowl, mix the beef, onion, taco seasoning, cooked rice, beans and tomatoes.
- Stuff peppers with mixture above. Really get as much in as you can here.
- Line peppers in slow cooker. I really had to squeeze here. Six large peppers is ALOT for a crockpot. If you have any leftover mix, pour it on top. See the before cooking picture above.
- Set crockpot to low for 6-8 hours. Voila. Top with avocado and/or cheese and enjoy with some tortilla chips.
Chicken Parmesan the “Light” Way
My husband is from a small town in New York where Italian food is a staple to his diet. Unfortunately, the food at the restaurants there is usually fried or cooked with a serious amount of oil and cheese. I like to attempt an Italian night at our house once a week without the loaded calories. A comfort food of choice – Chicken Parmesan (my way).
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup of melted butter
- 1/2 bread crumbs – can be plain or Italian
- 1 16 oz jar of spaghetti sauce (I know I don’t take the time to make my own sauce most nights) – my jar of choice – Rao’s Specialty Food Tomato Basil Sauce
- 1 box of wheat spaghetti
- 3 slices of low moisture, low fat mozzarella cheese
I literally put this together in twenty minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice chicken breasts in half. Dip each piece into the dish of melted butter before dipping in a bowl containing the bread crumbs. Place on baking sheet and cook for 15-20 minutes. Until chicken is almost cooked.
- Pull chicken out of the oven. Generously coat with sauce and mozzarella cheese. Put back in oven for 5 minutes, or unit cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, go ahead and cook your pasta. As soon as the chicken is done you can top the pasta with the chicken.
This is the kind of stuff even my daughter can’t help but try to get into when I’m in the kitchen. When she is hungry she starts to hang around the kitchen waiting for me to feed her. Sound familiar? I think I do the same thing. Caught. Red handed.