My Wednesday “rogue” workout from last week had me eager to pull out my kettlebell at the house. After a good night’s sleep Sunday evening and several cardio workouts over the weekend, I was ready to hit the weights. There is nothing more empowering than feeling strong. My Monday workout was a combo workout that took a little over thirty minutes. Perfect for the start of a busy week. I need variety, so by breaking the workout up into two different parts I don’t get bored.
Grab your kettlebell and dumbbells. This is a total body workout. If you are looking to work up a sweat, parts of this workout will elevate your heart rate. Key is quick transitions between exercises.
Warm up – I walked in place before gradually increasing the range of motion in my legs and arms (essentially jogging and then running in place) for about one minute. I followed this up with side to side toe touches, jumping jacks, imperial walkers and body weight squats. The key is to loosen and wake everything up.
Part 1 – Strength Circuit – You need your dumbbells and kettlebells. Complete the following exercises sequentially before repeating the circuit. Complete the circuit three times. Little to no rest between exercises.
- Burpees x10
- Single Leg Dead Lift x10 each leg– Place one dumbbell upright in front of the leg that will be working. When you bend down, lift the dumbbell and rise to standing. Place dumbbell back on the ground. That is one.
- Russian Twists with Dumbbell x 10 each side
- Thrusters with Dumbbells x10, immediately followed with shoulder press with Dumbbells x10
- Overhead Tricep Extension with Dumbbells x20
Part 2 – ARMAP (As Many Reps As Possible) Circuit – Again, you need your dumbbells and kettlebells. Complete the following exercises for one minute each sequentially before repeating the circuit. Complete the circuit three times. It should be clear that you are moving from one exercise to the next with no rest.
- Kettlebell Swing
- Sumo Dead Lift with Upright Row using Kettlebell
- Bicep Curls with Dumbbell alternating sides
- Weighted Side Bends (alternate sides at 30 seconds)
- Hip Raises
To maximize the effectiveness of this workout you need to minimize the amount of time between exercises and stations. Good luck!