Let me forewarn you, the intent of this workout is to make you breathless and fatigue your muscles. At least once a week, I try to share an efficient and effective workout that can be done at the gym in approximately thirty minutes with some common gym equipment. I like to think that this type of workout is perfect for a “lunch” workout.
I have really gotten into merging some sort of cardio with a strength component, maximizing my heart rate, so that I can get a good burn in over a short period of time. Today, I did a similar workout to one that I did today last week, utilizing 400m runs with mini circuits in which I repeated exercises 10 times before moving to the next exercise (ultimately ending up with 50 total reps of each exercise). I kept with this theme today, so I’m going to start calling this type of workout a “DUFifty” workout (i.e. my last name + the number of reps).
Total workout time today took approximately 30-35 minutes. I was moving, so keep in mind it might take you more or less time depending on how good you are at certain exercises. Key to the workout is that you need to complete all repetitions.
• Box for box jumps
• Pull up bar or assisted pull up machine
• Dip bar or assisted dip machine
Warm up – Run 400m around a track or on a treadmill. This is slightly faster than a warm up pace.
Modification – If you are not a runner, jump rope for two minutes or do some sort of stationary cardio (think jumping jacks, high knees, side steps).
Workout – There are two stations of exercises. Complete each station sequentially, three times.
Station 1 –
- Pull ups (10 Reps) – as I mentioned last week, do these on a pull up bar, on an assisted dip machine or with assistance on a pull up bar. See picture below.
- Burpees (10 Reps)
- Kettlebell Swings (10 Reps)
- Bicycle abs (10 each side)
- RUN 400 meters after finishing the first station three times. Here is the cardio! If you need a modification to running, see the warm up section above.
Station 2 – Complete 10 repetitions of each exercise sequentially. Repeat circuit 3 times.
- Dips (10 Reps) – Like the pull-ups, do these on the dip bar, on an assisted dip machine or with assistance using a band on the dip bar. See picture below.
- Full Sit-ups (10 Reps) – Hands behind your head, feet stay on floor.
- Box Jumps (10 Reps)
- Kettlebell upright rows (10 Reps)
- RUN 400 meters after finishing the second station three times. Again, cardio!
- Repeat Station 1 exercises sequentially. This time do the sequence two times, instead of three.
- RUN 400 meters.
- Repeat Station 2 exercises sequentially. This time do the sequence two times, instead of three.
If you follow this workout correctly, you will end up doing 50 of each exercise and run one mile. That’s right 50 pull ups, 50 dips, 50 box jumps, etc. Hence, “DUFifty”! Love it.
Lunch today was a fresh build your own salad from Dean and Deluca. Their salad presentation is perfect for something that is just thrown together. When given the option, I love to top my salad with a black bean/corn salsa. It almost eliminates the need to add dressing.